An Independent Episcopal Day School for Ages 3 Through 12th Grade in Burlington, New Jersey

Transportation to Doane Academy

Doane Academy’s goal is to make the transportation process easy, safe and convenient for our students.

With students coming from more than 50 towns in New Jersey and Pennsylvania, there are a variety of transportation options.

Personal Transportation

For many of our families, the simplest solution is to drop their children off at school each morning, and pick them up in the evening. Our Headmaster and/or Assistant Head are in the parking lot each morning to welcome students to school, and 2-3 of our faculty members are at the door to facilitate pick up in the afternoon.

Other families arrange carpools. Doane is a small community, and carpools allow families to share the task, and give our student additional time to spend time with one another. Doane is happy to provide names of families who are interested in carpooling. For help in identifying families in your area who may be open to carpooling, please contact Sara Flamm in our transportation office:

Upper School students who are licensed to drive are welcome to drive themselves to school.


District Busing or reimbursement:

In New Jersey, transportation to an Independent School varies by the student’s home school district. Some school districts provide bus service while others provide reimbursement in lieu of transportation (currently $884 per student, per year). *Prices are subject to change.

Districts that provide transportation for their public school students must provide transportation or aid in lieu of transportation for private school students living within the district.

Districts that do not transport their own public school students will not provide transportation or aid in lieu of transportation for private school students.

In order to be Eligible for either busing or reimbursement, NJ Students must:

  • Be enrolled in Kindergarten – Grade 12
  • Live within 20 miles of Doane Academy

As of the current school year, the districts that provide busing to Doane include: Willingboro, Burlington Township, and Florence Township. Please contact Doane Academy at for any questions regarding additional school districts, or reach out to your local school district.

The districts that DO NOT provide busing or reimbursement may change from year to year. Please call your local school district for more details.

To be eligible for transportation or aid in lieu a student must reside in a district that provides transportation to their students. A student must meet the age requirements for enrollment in their district and be enrolled in grades kindergarten through 12. The student's residence must not be more than 20 miles from Doane Academy and not less than 2 miles from Doane Academy.

In order to be eligible for either transportation or reimbursement, families MUST register their child with their public school district for busing through the Application for Private School Transportation Form (B6T). The information you provide will enable your school district to arrange transportation or payment. Families who do not submit the B6T are not eligible for reimbursement. Click Here to download the B6T form.

Questions about the B6T form should be directed to Sara Flamm in our Transportation Office:

Doane Academy Bus Service

Using a combination of private busing companies, as well as our own school bus, Doane Academy provides transportation to students if they do not participate in district-provided busing. Families may choose to pay for a full year of transportation or may pay by season (fall, winter, spring). Estimated 2017-18 fees:

  • Round Trip – $3,300 ($1,100 per season)
  • One Way – $1,875 ($625 per season)

Depending on location, it is possible a centralized drop-off/drop-off point may be used.

In order to take advantage of Doane Academy’s bus service, parents must register/return our Transportation Questionnaire no later than July 1.

Please reach out to Sara Flamm in our Transportation Office with questions about Doane Academy’s busing service:


District Busing:

Under provisions set forth by Act 372, the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania provides transportation from certain school districts to Doane Academy. Pennsbury and Bristol Township school districts provide transportation to Doane Academy, and new families should inform the Registrar of their needs by June 1 for the following academic year.

At the current time, we do not offer Doane Academy Busing in Pennsylvania. However we do have a number of students from Pennsylvania, and carpooling may be an effective option.

For questions about transportation in PA, please reach out to Sara Flamm in our Transportation Office:

State of New Jersey Information

Information provided by -

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. Who must be transported?

A. In accordance with state law, N.J.S.A. 18A:39-1, all public elementary school students (grades K-8) who live more than two miles from their school and all public secondary school students (grades 9-12) who live more than two-and-a-half miles from their school are entitled to transportation. These students are said to live "remote from school." Whenever a school district is required to provide transportation to students attending regular public school programs, students attending nonpublic schools who meet those distance requirements may also be entitled to transportation services. In addition, any student classified with special needs who either meets these distance requirements or for whom transportation is required in the student's Individual Education Plan must be transported.

Q. How is the distance between a student's home and school measured?

A. Measurement is made by the shortest distance along public roadways or walkways between the entrance to the student's home and the nearest public entrance of the school building. This measurement is for eligibility purposes only and is not necessarily the travel path to or from school.

Q. Who is responsible for transportation to charter and choice schools?

A. The transportation of students to and from a charter school is the responsibility of the board of education of the school district in which the student resides. Students who reside less than remote from their charter school are eligible for transportation in accordance with the policies of the district board of education in which they reside.

The transportation of students to and from a choice school is the responsibility of the board of education of the school district in which the student resides.

Q. Are there any limits on nonpublic school transportation?

Yes, there are several limits on nonpublic school transportation. They are:

The school must be a nonprofit school;

The school must be located within the state, except for certain counties of the third class (Warren);

The school may be located no more than twenty miles from the student's home;

The cost of the transportation may not exceed the annual maximum expenditure set by law each year ($884 for the 2015-2016 school year);

Students must be in grades kindergarten through grade 12; and

Students must meet the entrance age requirements for students in the resident public school district.

If the cost of the transportation to be provided to the nonpublic school student will exceed the annual maximum expenditure, the school district cannot provide the transportation but instead pay the student's parent or legal guardian the maximum expenditure amount. The maximum expenditure for the transportation of nonpublic school students cannot exceed $884 for the 2015-2016 school year.

In the 2015-2016 school year, transportation services are also extended to students living in third-class counties or second-class counties with a population of less than 235,000 who reside no more than 30 miles from their nonpublic schools located within the state. This applies to Cumberland, Gloucester, Hunterdon, Salem, Sussex and Warren counties.

Q. Is it a district's responsibility to provide transportation for students who live less than remote from school when hazardous road conditions exist?

A. Boards of education are not required by law to provide busing for students who live less than remote from school even for safety reasons. However, boards are permitted, at their own discretion and expense, to provide transportation for students who reside less than remote from school and may charge the student's parents or legal guardians for this service. Municipalities may also contract with boards of education for this service and charge the parents. This transportation service is called Subscription Busing.

Q. Where can I purchase subscription busing?

A. Subscription busing may be purchased from your own school district, another school district transporting students to that school, or a coordinating transportation services agency (CTSA) providing busing to that school. A board of education or CTSA may provide this service at its discretion.

Q. Who is responsible for safe travel along public roadways or walkways?

A. Case law has long held that safety along public roadways and walkways is a municipal responsibility. It is for this reason that municipalities install sidewalks, traffic signals and signs, and paint crosswalks. Pursuant to section 40A:9-154.1 of New Jersey statute, school crossing guards are appointed by the municipality and are under the supervision of the chief of police or other chief law enforcement officer.

Q. How long may a school bus be used to transport students in New Jersey?

A. Some school buses can be used for 12 years from the date of manufacture or the end of the school year in which that date occurs. Some school buses, other than those of the transit type with a gross vehicle weight exceeding 25,000 pounds, can be used for 15 years from the date of manufacture or the end of the school year in which that date occurs provided the school bus meets certain emission standards. School buses of the transit type with a gross vehicle weight exceeding 25,000 pounds may be used for 20 years from the date of manufacture or the end of the school year in which that date occurs. If you have questions about which category a school vehicle falls into, please contact the School Bus Inspection Unit at the Motor Vehicle Commission.

Q. Are school buses required to be equipped with passenger seat belts?

A. All vehicles manufactured after October 1992 are required to be equipped with lap-type seat belts or other child restraint systems.

Q. What is being done to ensure that students are safely transported to and from school?

A. School buses are inspected at least twice each year by special school bus inspection teams from the New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission.

School bus drivers are required to hold a commercial driver's license (CDL) with a passenger and school bus endorsement, and, therefore, are also required to meet federal standards for alcohol and drug testing. The standards include testing upon initial employment followed by random tests. In addition, school bus drivers must undergo a physical examination every two years, a criminal background check upon initial employment and at the time of renewal of their CDL, and submit an annual driver's abstract (i.e., a history of motor vehicle violations).

Q. Has the school transportation efficiency plan resulted in any actual efficiencies?

A. Yes, since the inception of the school transportation efficiency plan, the number of districts falling below the state standard of 120 percent vehicle utilization has decreased from 489 school districts to 194 for the 2011-2012 school year. The number of students transported through coordinated transportation services has grown throughout the years from approximately 8,000 to 63,000.

State of Pennsylvania Information

Information Provided By - - revised 2/2015

Frequently Asked Questions

The Department of Education frequently receives questions pertaining to the transportation of school students.

Q. Are school districts required transporting students?

A. With the exception of charter school students, Pennsylvania law does not require a school district to provide transportation to its students.

Q. When does a school district have to provide transportation to a charter school?

A. The law requires school districts to provide transportation to resident students attending a charter school "on such dates and periods that the charter school is in regular session" if: The charter school is located within the school district, or The charter school is located not more than ten miles by the nearest public highway beyond the school district boundary, or The charter school is a regional charter school in which the school district participates.

Q. When a school district provides transportation, which is responsible?

A. The board of directors of a school district is responsible for all aspects of pupil transportation programs. The school board may ask their solicitor (an attorney) to interpret educational laws and regulations for them.

Q. How long may a child be required to ride on a bus?

A. This is a local decision (based on geography, population distribution, etc.). There are no time limits set by law or regulations.

Q. How far may a child be asked to walk to a school bus stop?

A. The law allows a school district to ask a child, regardless of age, to walk up to a mile and a half to a bus stop. The mile and a half is measured by public roads and does not include any private lane or walkway of the child's residence. Revised February 2015 2

Q. May a fee be charged to pupils who ride a school vehicle?

A. No. Section 1361 of the School Code states that when a school district provides transportation to its students, it is to be free and paid for out of school district funds. Additionally, Section 1365 prohibits districts from demanding, requesting or accepting compensation for transporting students.

Q. I think the road my child has to walk along is hazardous. What can I do?

A. The law provides for the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation to review potentially hazardous walking routes. The request for this review must be made by the school district to the local PennDOT engineering district office. PennDOT regulations do not address hazards other than road or traffic conditions. The local district may assess conditions such as bad neighborhoods, secluded wooded areas, snow removal, etc., when developing transportation routes.

Q. I think the bus my child rides on is overloaded. What can I do?

A. Address your concern to the school district. All questions relating to school vehicle regulations, such as seating, aisle clearance, warning devices, etc., should be addressed to the Pupil Transportation Section of the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation at (717) 787-6453.

Q. May a school district suspend busing services for a child?

A. Yes. Transportation is a privilege, not a right.

Q. When does a school district have to provide transportation to a nonpublic school?

A. When a school district provides transportation for its public pupils, it must provide transportation services to nonpublic pupils of the same grade level that it is providing for its own pupils. The nonpublic school must be nonprofit and located within ten miles of the district’s boundary, measured by the nearest public road. If the school building in which the pupil is enrolled is not located within the ten-mile distance, the nonpublic pupil is not eligible for transportation, nor are his parents eligible for payment towards transportation costs.

Q. Is the local school district that transports my child to a nonpublic school required to transport her on days when the nonpublic school is in session and the public school is closed?

A. Yes, unless the closure is due to weather conditions. Revised February 2015 3

Q. May a school district ask a child going to a nonpublic elementary school to ride on a vehicle with public high school students?

A. Yes.

Q. If the teachers are on strike, must the school district still provide transportation for eligible nonpublic pupils to their schools?

A. Yes.

Q. Must transportation be provided for exceptional children?

A. Transportation must be provided as required by a child’s individualized education program (IEP). An intermediate unit may provide this transportation for the school district.

Q. What can I do about transportation problems such as (1) the bus was late, (2) the bus never came, (3) the bus stop location seems dangerous, (4) the bus driver is speeding, and (5) another child hit my child on the bus?

A. You must work with your school district to address such problems.

Q. Does the state provide funds for pupil transportation?

A. Yes. On a statewide average, the pupil transportation subsidy covers approximately half of a school district's transportation costs.

Powered by Finalsite