Careers at Doane Academy
Thank you for your interest in a career at Doane Academy.
Doane Academy welcomes qualified candidates seeking to join the ranks of our professional faculty and staff. We are interested in applicants who are devoted to an education for life, who are willing and able to embrace our small school culture, are committed to mastering the art and craft of educating, and can combine enthusiasm for their expertise with an understanding of the many different ways students learn.
Interest applicants should send a cover letter and C.V., to George B. Sanderson, Head of School,
Doane Academy at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Instrumental Music Teacher: String/Piano
Full Job Description:
This part-time, 10-month faculty position spans the academic school year from late-August until mid-June. The teacher works in close collaboration with the Visual and Performing Arts Department and provides individualized instruction for students across grade levels. This is a 24 hour/week position, with a flexible schedule that could include full days or a series of half days. This individual provides string and piano instruction, as well as coordinating small ensemble activities, while supporting each student in achieving a higher skill level and fostering an enhanced appreciation for music. The string and piano teacher increases student musical capability through rehearsals, performances, and opportunities to participate in extracurricular activities such as state and regional auditions and competitions.
Additional Job Information/Responsibilities:
- Show passion for building a strings/orchestra/piano program that includes concerts with ensembles and solo performances.
- Prepare lessons that reflect accommodations for individual student differences.
- Collaborate with Band, Chorus, and/or Drama teachers to provide students with integrated learning experiences.
- Plan and use appropriate instructional and learning strategies, activities, materials, and equipment that reflect understanding of the learning styles and needs of students in grades Pre-K through 12.
- Conduct on-going assessments of student achievement through formal and informal evaluation.
- Create an environment conducive to learning and appropriate for the physical, social, and emotional development of students.
- Develop meaningful connections with students, faculty, and staff.
- Proficiency and experience with piano and string instruments.
- A Bachelor’s degree in music education or related field
- Experience with lower, middle, and upper school students.
- An entrepreneurial spirit and willingness to become a visible, collegial member of an independent school community.
Interested candidates should email a cover letter and resume to Allison Baratta, Head of Middle School, at email@example.com
Doane is seeking substitute teachers for the 2020-2021 academic year. In the absence of a full-time teacher, substitute teachers provide instruction using existing lesson plans and manage the classroom environment. Candidates are required to have earned a college degree; classroom teaching experience, especially in an independent school environment, is preferred. To apply, email your letter of interest and resume to George Sanderson, Head of School, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
About Doane Academy
Doane Academy, founded in 1837, is an independent Episcopal day school serving students from age 3 through grade 12 in Burlington, New Jersey. The student body includes approximately 236 students. Doane maintains a deep commitment to academic excellence, leadership, the arts, athletics, and character development, which you can learn about by exploring this website. We are located on the banks of the Delaware River, about 30 minutes from Philadelphia and slightly over an hour from New York City.