Thank you for your interest in a career at Doane Academy.
Doane Academy welcomes qualified candidates seeking to join the ranks of our professional faculty and staff. We are interested in applicants who are devoted to an education for life, who are willing and able to embrace our small school culture, are committed to mastering the art and craft of educating, and can combine enthusiasm for their expertise with an understanding of the many different ways students learn.
Interest applicants should send a cover letter and C.V., to George B. Sanderson, Headmaster,
Doane Academy at email@example.com.
Director of Human Resources and Accounting
Doane Academy seeks a Director of Human Resources and Accounting to join its Business Office beginning July 1, 2019.Reporting to the Chief Financial Officer, the responsibilities of the Director of Human Resources and Accounting include the following:
- Demonstrate depth of understanding with school benefits programs and provide customer service to all employees requiring benefits support or clarification. Update, manage and distribute employment packets and Employee Handbook.
- Maintain Employee Handbook for the School and recommend changes to Administrative Team.
- Develop/edit/update job descriptions for all employees.Complete periodic job description audit and reclassified employees as appropriate under the Fair Labor Standards Act.
- Ensure compliance with federal and state statutes/laws such as FMLA, ADA, Sexual Harassment, OSHA, Worker’s Compensation, Title VII, and ERISA.
- Counsel employees regarding disciplinary problems and provide mediation when necessary.
- Manage and oversee new employee onboarding process including employment forms, background checks, any testing and employee benefits.
- Manage employee separation process including retirements and terminations.
- Coordinate all employee leave, and insure compliance with all applicable statutes/regulations (FMLA, NJFMLA, NJFLI)
- Provide training for department heads and team leaders on various HR topics including interviewing skills, performance reviews and employee coaching.
- Coordinate employee training programs, including Sexual Harassment Prevention, Mandatory Reporting, and other required programs for all employees.
- Manage Worker’s Compensation program (file claims, follow-up, etc.)
- Manage and coordinate benefit programs (Health, Dental, 403(b) Retirement Plan, STD, LTD, Life/AD&D and COBRA) for employees, including all employee communication, problem solving and claims resolution.
- Coordinate 403(b) retirement program including employee enrollment, changes, loans, and terminations. Perform quarterly review, analysis and reconciliation to ensure employee and employer matching contributions are accurate. Prepare reports, collect information for and work closely with independent auditors to complete the annual plan audit and Form 5500 submission.
- Ensure benefits plans comply with applicable laws/statutes (HIPPA, ERISA and IRS guidelines).
- Assist in evaluation, selection and implementation of benefit programs along with the development of employee benefits budgets.
- Prepare/edit Summary Plan Descriptions as needed for plan changes and legal compliance.
- Manage annual open enrollment for all applicable benefit plans.
- Schedule, prepare and gather information for the annual workers comp insurance audit.
- Regularly review human resource systems, controls and filing compliance with Chief Financial Officer. Undertake any compliance related tasks necessary to keep employee files up to date, and to securely archive inactive records.
- Manage and prepare semi-monthly payroll including enrollment and termination, tracking absences, processing timesheets for hourly employees, compilation and submission of HSA and 403(b) contributions and employment changes and issues related to payroll tax withholding, COBRA, FMLA, 3rd party disability, garnishments and unemployment.
- Maintain HR system/payroll database with earning updates, status changes, tax withholdings and benefit deductions.
- Initiate bank transfers and prepare month end reconciliation of payroll bank account.
- Prepare and distribute of all year-end tax reports including W-2’s,1099’s, ACA 1095’s, etc..
Other duties as assigned
- This is a full time (12 month) position.
- BS Degree in Human Resources, Business Administration or related field and/or relevant experience working in the finance office of an independent school.
- PHR Certification preferred.
- Minimum of five years of experience in payroll management and processing, benefits administration, and basic human resource management.
- Strong analytical & computation skills and high proficiency with technology including Excel, Word, accounting software (Quickbooks a plus), and payroll software.
- Ability to communicate, solve problems, and work effectively in a service-oriented manner with all members of the school community.
- High level of interpersonal skills to handle sensitive and confidential situations and information.
- Ability to maintain all employee information with absolute confidentiality.
- Ability to plan, organize and carry out assignments with minimal direction.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to Chancellor Van Sciver, Chief Financial Officer, Doane Academy, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Head of Lower School
Doane Academy, an independent, coeducational day school for students from age 3 through grade 12 located in Burlington, New Jersey, seeks a dynamic, passionate, caring educator to become its next Head of Lower School.The successful candidate will lead our division serving children aged 3-6 (in our Primary Program) through grade 5 and work closely with the Headmaster, division heads, and other senior administrators to make up the leadership team.
Start Date: July 1, 2019
In addition to other responsibilities assigned by the Head of School, The Head of Lower School will:
- Serve as a member of the school’s Senior Leadership Team
- Hire and supervise Lower School faculty
- Mentor and support Lower School faculty in an effort to create the best possible learning environment and educational experience for students
- Work collaboratively with teachers and parents regarding the academic and personal growth of students
- Participate in the orientation and professional development of new and continuing teachers
- Lead curriculum design and centralize scope and sequence
- Work with the Admissions Team as an ambassador of the school who can demonstrate the school’s value proposition to prospective and current families
- Maintain the division’s budget and partner with the Chief Financial Officer and Headmaster on financial decisions
DESIRED QUALITIES AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Significant Lower School teaching and proven independent school leadership experience
- Warm and relational approach to children’s education
- A leader who is empathetic, decisive, joyful, caring, and visible
- Commitment to innovation in education
- Strong management and interpersonal skills
- An ability to embrace and promote the unique culture of Doane Academy
Applicants should provide the following by January 7, 2019 via email to George Sanderson, Headmaster, Doane Academy, email@example.com:
- A cover letter, expressing interest in this position
- A current resume
- Statement of educational philosophy and practice
- Names and contact information for three confidential references. No reference will be contacted without first asking permission of the applicant.
Doane Academy seeks a full-time teacher of mathematics with the following qualifications:
- At least three years experience teaching math up to and including BC Calculus.
- BA in mathematics (or math-related field), BS, or BSE degree required; masters preferred.
- Experience with technology, science, or S.T.E.A.M. curriculum and/or involvement with extracurricular S.T.E.A.M. activities is a plus.
- Ability to teach a section of middle school math in addition to upper school sections is a plus
- Candidates should have enthusiasm for joining an entrepreneurial, collegial, enthusiastic, innovative, fun group of teaching professionals.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to Michael Russell, chair of the Math and Science Departments at firstname.lastname@example.org
Doane is seeking substitute teachers for the 2018-2019 academic year. In the absence of a full-time teacher, substitute teachers provide instruction using existing lesson plans and manage the classroom environment. Candidates are required to have earned a college degree; classroom teaching experience, especially in an independent school environment, is preferred. To apply, email your letter of interest and resume to George Sanderson, Headmaster, at email@example.com.
About Doane Academy
Doane Academy, founded in 1837, is an independent Episcopal day school serving students from age 3 through grade 12 in Burlington, New Jersey. The student body includes approximately 236 students. Doane maintains a deep commitment to academic excellence, leadership, the arts, athletics, and character development, which you can learn about by exploring this website. We are located on the banks of the Delaware River, about 30 minutes from Philadelphia and slightly over an hour from New York City.