Employment at Doane Academy
Thank you for your interest in a career at Doane Academy.
Doane Academy is seeking a technology teacher for its middle and upper schools. This person will also be tasked with continuing to develop the lower, middle, and upper school technology curriculum and guiding our faculty toward the integration of technology into their curriculum. This full-time position’s responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
● teaching middle and upper school technology and computer science courses, including AP
Computer Science Principles;
● working with the Chair of the Math and Science Departments to continue to develop and
implement the scope and sequence of the Technology curriculum
● providing strategic leadership in the area of technology integration in classes and activities
across all divisions and disciplines;
● serving as a resource to faculty and staff to support the development and implementation of
technology-rich lessons and activities;
● guiding the professional development of faculty and staff in the use of educational technology;
● presiding over extracurricular technology programs during the day and after school.
● Bachelor’s Degree required.
● Master’s Degree in Educational Technology or Technology-related field preferred.
● Knowledge of current educational technologies, technology trends, and inquiry-based
● Ability to teach AP-level Computer Science courses (required) and the ability to teach AP-level
mathematics courses (preferred);
● Familiarity with Google Chromebooks, Raspberry Pi, microcontrollers, LEGO robots, and/or 3D
Printing a plus.
● Comfort working with a variety of learning styles and grade levels.
● Enthusiasm for participating in STEM- and STEAM-related technology activities including
robotics, digital media, and video-game development.
The successful candidate will be an inquiry-based instructor who is eager to collaborate with co-workers and a self-directed worker who is excited by the opportunity to further develop a modern technology education program that helps Doane Academy achieve its mission.
Interested candidates should send a current resume and cover letter to Michael Russell, Chair of the Math and Science Departments, at email@example.com
Lead Teacher for 3-6 Year Old Primary Program
Doane Academy is seeking an energetic individual to be the lead teacher of our Montessori-based 3-6 Year Old Primary Program. The ideal candidate will have the entrepreneurial drive to build upon the already outstanding reputation of this program. This full-time position’s responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Establish and maintain a learning environment whose foundation is built upon the tenets of a Montessori education.
- Continually assess how the program is meeting its goals and implement changes as necessary to meet those goals.
- Plan and implement a thoughtful, well-articulated program of introducing new students to the program during the initial weeks of the school year.
- Have regular communication with parents about the program’s curriculum and their children’s school lives.
- Provide education to parents about the Montessori philosophy and the goals of the program.
- Carefully observe and keep records on each student’s individual progression through the classroom’s materials and activities.
- Supervise the classroom assistant, aide, and any additional support personnel assigned to the classroom.
- Provide necessary instruction and training for those assisting in the classroom environment.
- Assist in the assessment of children and families who apply to the program.
- Be responsible for the planning and maintenance of the classrooms, materials, and the outdoor area of the classroom. Report any maintenance issues to the Head of the Lower School.
- Organize planning time for changing out material, cleaning and reorganizing works.
- Maintain an inventory of all materials assigned to your program.
- Interact in a collegial and collaborative manner with colleagues who teach Primary students in foreign language, music, art, and nature.
- Work closely with the 1st grade teacher to ensure a smooth transition from Primary to 1st grade.
- Represent the program and the school in a proactive, positive and knowledgeable manner to prospective families.
- Attend all faculty meetings and scheduled staff events, including in-service days and admission open houses.
- BA degree required; concentration in Early Childhood Education preferred.
- Montessori certified required.
- At least 3-5 years early childhood teaching experience preferred.
- Specific experience as a lead teacher in a Montessori classroom preferred.
- Candidates should have enthusiasm for joining an entrepreneurial, collegial, enthusiastic, innovative, fun group of teaching professionals.
Candidates should send cover and resume to Tim Sadar, head of Lower School, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Middle School Math and Science Teacher
Doane Academy seeks a full-time teacher of middle school math and science with the following qualifications:
- Experience with teaching middle school science courses including Earth Science, Life Science, and Physical Science.
- Experience with teaching math up to and including Algebra I.
- BS or BSE degree required; masters preferred.
- Experience with S.T.E.A.M. curriculum and/or involvement with extracurricular S.T.E.A.M. activities is a plus.
- Ability to teach a section of upper school math or science is a plus. Candidates should have enthusiasm for joining an entrepreneurial, collegial, enthusiastic, innovative, fun groupof teaching professionals.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to Michael Russell, chair of the Math and Science Departments at email@example.com
Latin Teaching Position
Doane Academy seeks a full-time middle and upper school Latin teacher whose teaching responsibilities will also include a section of History, English, or Math. The successful candidate will have the following qualifications and experience:
- BA degree in Classics or related discipline required.
- Masters degree in Classics or related discipline preferred.
- Experience with and/or training in teaching upper level Latin courses, including AP, preferred.
- Experience teaching middle school English, History, or Math preferred.
- Expertise with both middle and upper school students preferred.
- Familiarity with, or experience, teaching in an independent school environment is a plus.
- Enthusiasm for, and knowledge about, classical culture and international travel as well as leading a student Latin club.
Interested candidates should send a cover lever and resume to Allison Baratta, head of middle school, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Upper School Spanish Teacher
Doane Academy seeks a full-time upper school Spanish teacher with the following qualifications and experience:
- Teacher/or training in teaching upper level Spanish courses, including AP, required.
- Expertise with both middle and upper school students preferred, as it is possible that teaching responsibilities will include one middle school section.
- Native oral and written fluency in Spanish required.
- Masters Degree in Spanish preferred.
- Time spent living or studying abroad is a plus.
- Familiarity with, or experience, teaching in an independent school environment is a plus.
- Enthusiasm for, and knowledge about, Spanish-speaking culture and international travel as well as leading a student Spanish club.
- Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to Ran Holeman, head of upper school, at email@example.com
Doane Academy seeks a School Counselor, to begin work in August, 2018. This full-time, 10-month faculty position spans the academic school year from mid-August until mid-June. The school counselor works in close collaboration with the division heads and dean of student life and provides supportive counseling for individual students on drop-in and scheduled bases. The counselor works with students in the lower, middle, and upper schools. In addition, the school counselor serves as a resource for faculty members and parents.
In addition to seeing students for regular short- or longer-term counseling, the school counselor is responsible for the following:
- Referral of students to outside mental health professionals when indicated or desired by the student and/or family.
- Parent consultation and support when needed and appropriate.
- Evaluation and management of students in crisis, including collaboration with outside psychiatrists and other mental health professionals, and coordination of a support plan in which the School Counselor provides supplemental support to an outside provider.
- Collaboration with our school nurse.
- Support of programs by helping to plan curriculum and teaching a trimester of middle school Health and Wellness with programming geared towards teaching students positive health behaviors.
- Professional development and consultation to faculty and parents regarding child development, the support of student health and wellness, and positive growth and learning at various age levels.
- Outreach to the community at large for education and mental health support initiatives, including the identification of guest speakers to present to the community various topics related to mental health.
- Assessment and/or referral regarding student academic concerns including interpretation of outside evaluations and implementation of accommodations as needed.
- Consultation with faculty regarding the learning needs of specific students as well as current research on topics such as academic skill development and current research on learning and the brain.
- Implementation of school wide programming to support student health and wellness (e.g. healthy relationships, digital citizenship, etc.).
Interested candidates should email a cover letter and resume to George Sanderson, Headmaster, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Doane is also seeking substitute teachers for the 2017-2018 academic year. In the absence of a full-time teacher, substitute teachers provide instruction using existing lesson plans and manage the classroom environment. Candidates are required to have earned a college degree; classroom teaching experience, especially in an independent school environment, is preferred. To apply, email your letter of interest and resume to George Sanderson, Headmaster, at email@example.com
About Doane Academy
Doane Academy, founded in 1837, is an independent Episcopal day school serving students from age 3 through grade 12 in Burlington, New Jersey. The student body includes approximately 236 students. Doane maintains a deep commitment to academic excellence, leadership, the arts, athletics, and character development, which you can learn about by exploring this website. We are located on the banks of the Delaware River, about 30 minutes from Philadelphia and slightly over an hour from New York City.