Employment at Doane Academy
Thank you for your interest in a career at Doane Academy.
Doane Academy welcomes qualified candidates seeking to join the ranks of our professional faculty and staff. We are interested in applicants who are devoted to an education for life, who are willing and able to embrace our small school culture, are committed to mastering the art and craft of educating, and can combine enthusiasm for their expertise with an understanding of the many different ways students learn.
Interest applicants should send a cover letter and C.V., to George B. Sanderson, Headmaster,
Doane Academy at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Managing the Primary-grade 12 admission process and in doing so, devising and implementing a communications strategy with prospective families to move them from inquiry to application to enrollment.
- Devising and implementing mission-consistent strategies to meet our annual enrollment targets.
- In conjunction with the above, overseeing the communications team that produces advertising and marketing strategies to support our enrollment goals and mission.
- Meeting with visiting families and, in doing so, engaging and informing them of the benefits of a Doane education.
- Interviewing (when appropriate in the process) domestic applicants for admission.
- Producing weekly reports on enrollment, applications, and inquiries.
- Organizing and leading Open Houses and other admission events.
- Recruiting and training student ambassadors.
- Arranging campus visits: tours, shadow days, accepted students days.
- Representing Doane at admission outreach programs at area feeder schools.
- Organizing testing for lower school applicants.
- Dividing responsibilities for testing and interviewing among available admission officers and teachers.
- Managing parent and student expectations and delivering admissions and financial aid decisions in a manner that is honest, caring, and diplomatic.
- Working with the Registrar on communicating with families.
- Coordinating, with the division heads, course placement for new students.
- Organizing, with the division heads, orientation for new students.
- Chairing Admission Committees.
- Serving on the Financial Aid Committee and making financial aid grant decisions with the Chief Financial Officer.
- Overseeing the work of the international program coordinator, who is responsible for international student application processing, in a manner that is consistent with our admission procedures.
- Oversight and implementation of the Headmaster Merit Scholarship program.
- Demonstrating expertise in any and all admission and financial aid data management tools used by Doane to track enrollment and financial aid.
- Providing recommendations to the Headmaster and CFO on future enrollment, for budgeting purposes, during tuition setting process.
- Producing accurate and comprehensive annual reports on admission results, attrition, and student demographics.
- Bachelor’s Degree required.
- A minimum of three to five years experience in enrollment management; independent school experience strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated leadership in education strategic enrollment management, including developing and implementing data-driven programs and enrollment management planning.
- Leadership experience with current best practices in enrollment management, admissions, financial aid and enrollment.
- Experience with current and emerging technology (hardware and software solutions) related to recruitment, admissions and financial aid, including expertise with enrollment management systems and financial aid.
- Leadership experience in supporting a culture of inclusion and diversity.
- Experience with student information systems, budget oversight and financial aid.
- Knowledge of national and state issues related to independent school education policies and practices that influence enrollment management.
- The ideal candidate also will demonstrate excellent communication skills, integrity, a sense of humor, and the ability to collaborate effectively with internal and external constituents.
- Experience with and/or training in teaching upper level Spanish courses, including AP, required.
- Expertise with both middle and upper school students preferred, as it is likely that teaching responsibilities will include one middle school section.
- Native oral and written fluency in Spanish required.
- Masters Degree in Spanish preferred.
- Time spent living or studying abroad is a plus.
- Familiarity with, or experience, teaching in an independent school environment is a plus.
- Enthusiasm for, and knowledge about, Spanish-speaking culture and international travel as well as leading a student Spanish club.
- At least three years experience teaching math up to and including BC Calculus.
- BA in mathematics (or math-related field), BS, or BSE degree required; masters preferred.
- Experience with technology, science, or S.T.E.A.M. curriculum and/or involvement with extracurricular S.T.E.A.M. activities is a plus.
- Ability to teach a section of middle school math in addition to upper school sections is a plus
- Candidates should have enthusiasm for joining an entrepreneurial, collegial, enthusiastic, innovative, fun group of teaching professionals.Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to Michael Russell, chair of the Math and Science Departments at email@example.com
Director of Admissions
Doane Academy seeks an energetic, enthusiastic, collegial, data-driven admissions professional to lead its enrollment management efforts. The Director of Admission is a full-time, 12 month position that reports to the Headmaster. The Director of Admission serves on the administrative team that encompasses both academics and operations. The responsibilities of the Director of Admission include the following:
Qualifications and Skills:
Applicants should be efficient and effective communicators who are results-oriented and who have a deep understanding of best practices and current trends in the enrollment field.
Interested candidates should forward a cover letter and resume to George Sanderson, Headmaster, Doane Academy at firstname.lastname@example.org
Upper School Spanish Teacher
Doane Academy seeks a full-time upper school Spanish teacher with the following qualifications and experience:
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to Ran Holeman, head of upper school, at email@example.com
Teacher of Mathematics
Doane Academy seeks a full-time teacher of mathematics with the following qualifications:
Doane Academy seeks a part-time Theater Director to join our faculty starting in the fall of 2019. The successful candidate will support students in grades 4 to 12 in our performing arts program. He or she will act as director and oversee all aspects of our winter/spring upper school production (either a drama or musical, depending on the year) and our lower school spring production. In addition, the Theater Director will serve as an advisor for the school’s Halloween event known as “Doane’s Dungeon” and the annual Christmas pageant. Finally, the Theater Director will teach one section of our middle school drama class in the spring trimester.
The qualified candidate must possess a deep appreciation for the potential of students and bring with them a creative spirit, sense of humor, and passion for collaboration. Exceptional flexibility, teamwork, communication, and organizational skills are essential. Ability and interest in technical theater is highly desirable but not required.
Candidates should possess an undergraduate degree in the performing arts as well as experience with directing high school students. An advanced degree, teaching experience, and familiarity with independent schools are preferred but not required.
This is a part-time position based on the seasonal nature of the productions that the school stages. The candidate for this position should anticipate working some non-traditional hours as performance and rehearsal schedules demand. It should also be noted that Doane, like many schools, has a rotating, 6-day academic schedule which means that classes meet at different times on different days.
Interested applicants should send a cover letter and c.v. to George B. Sanderson, Headmaster, Doane Academy at firstname.lastname@example.org
Head Coach - Girls' Varsity Basketball
Doane Academy has developed a reputation for its highly respected basketball program, which combines a tradition of winning with a commitment to personal growth and citizenship. We are currently seeking a head coach for the varsity girls’ basketball team with the following qualifications:
- BA degree or equivalent required;
- 3-5 years high school or comparable club coaching experience required;
strong verbal and written communication skills required;
- a commitment to developing strong, ethical leaders in the athletic program and the broader school community required;
- independent school experience a plus.
Inquiries in the form of a cover letter and resume should be directed to Dan Williamson, Director of Athletics, at email@example.com.
Doane is seeking substitute teachers for the 2018-2019 academic year. In the absence of a full-time teacher, substitute teachers provide instruction using existing lesson plans and manage the classroom environment. Candidates are required to have earned a college degree; classroom teaching experience, especially in an independent school environment, is preferred. To apply, email your letter of interest and resume to George Sanderson, Headmaster, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
About Doane Academy
Doane Academy, founded in 1837, is an independent Episcopal day school serving students from age 3 through grade 12 in Burlington, New Jersey. The student body includes approximately 236 students. Doane maintains a deep commitment to academic excellence, leadership, the arts, athletics, and character development, which you can learn about by exploring this website. We are located on the banks of the Delaware River, about 30 minutes from Philadelphia and slightly over an hour from New York City.