Our Episcopal Tradition
Founded in 1837 by the second Episcopal Bishop of New Jersey, George Washington Doane, the school is spiritually rooted in the life and teachings of the Judeo-Christian traditions.
While Doane Academy was founded as an Episcopal school, we recognize and respect the many faiths, religions, and multicultural backgrounds of our students.
Our school integrates the physical, social, academic, and spiritual development of the whole child. As a group, Episcopal schools share:
- A belief in the fundamental unity of the global family
- A belief in the equality and dignity of all human beings
- A belief in the sacredness of every individual and his or her conscience
- A belief that love, compassion, unselfishness, and the force of inner truthfulness ultimately have greater power than hate, enmity, and self-interest
- A commitment by each member of the school community to grow in service to others
- A commitment to provide opportunities for worship and development of the spiritual life
- A commitment to engage freely in ethical and religious discussion, when appropriate, in all academic disciplines
- A commitment to an atmosphere of free inquiry in all academic pursuits as we seek the truth in a learning process unfettered by dogmatic considerations
Doane Academy’s Chapel of the Holy Innocents feels like a home away from home, the very soul of the school. Built in 1847, the beautiful woodwork and detailed stained glass windows highlight this architectural gem and create a peaceful and intimate place for the school community to gather.
Once per week, students attend a service led by the school’s Chaplain, who shares messages from a variety of religious and non-religious texts. Chapel services include prayers, meditation, and music that is both traditional and contemporary, which creates an environment for reflection that promotes the spiritual maturity of our students. While we view Chapel as a community experience, and attendance is required, students may participate at the level in which they feel most comfortable.